[PADG:1933] Re: condition surveys

Thanks.

Ed

At 12:31 PM 02/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:

Ed,

We have modified the "action survey" developed by John Dean at Cornell
and implemented it on Microsoft Access software.  The point of an action
survey, however, is to identify items that need treatment so it may not
work for you if your purpose is to do a random sample condition survey
of your collection.  Ours does accept scanned-in barcodes, but of course
our LIS is not Horizon.  If you are interested, we would be happy to
share.

Yvonne

Ed Rosenfeld wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing from anyone (but especially someone whose
> library uses the Horizon library management system) who has done a
> condition survey using a portable barcode reader, a laptop, and SAS or SPSS
> or some other database management or statistical software to make the data
> collection and analysis as efficient as possible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ed

> Ed Rosenfeld
> Head of Support Services and
> Coordinator of Facilities Projects;
> Interim Head of Preservation
> The Sheridan Libraries
> Johns Hopkins University
> 3400 North Charles Street
> Baltimore, MD 21218
> (410) 516-5486  Fax (410) 516-4355

Yvonne Carignan                         Voice:          301 405-9343
Preservation Production Group Leader    FAX:            301 314-9971
McKeldin Library                        Email:  yc38@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742