[PADG:1758] Re: water deflectors for stacks

I made the decision to purchase steel canopy tops for our compact storage
system, which has 90,578 linear filing inches and is manually operated by
mechanical assist crank.  The tops were purchased with the shelving
system and are attached by brackets.  The canopy top covers the top shelf
and is the shelf width of the shelves below.  (No break in the middle for
double-sided shelving.)  If the sprinkler system were activated, the
water would hit this shelf and cascade down the front of the books.  My
rationale for choosing these tops is based on the fact that the storage
unit is in little-used storage area where leaks could go unnoticed for
several days and dust accumulates rapidly.  The area where the shelving
is has a history of minor leaks, none in the last 5 years.  The library
is being retrofitted with a sprinkler system now, which I anticipated
prior to purchasing the shelving.  Our bigger problem is dust in the
area, and the tops reduce that significantly.  We cleaned the area
thoroughly prior to installation and cleaned the shelving prior to
putting any books in it.

I tossed and turned about this decision and hope I do not regret it.

Patricia

--
Patricia Palmer Selinger