[PADG:1752] Re: water deflectors for stacks

Emily/Winston,
I am under the impression that one wants water cascading down the front
of stacks to put fires out. We've been told to keep all stack tops clear
of any materials to facilitate that. Now I'm wondering if that
recommendation has changed.
Carol Fink
Library of Michigan
Lansing, MI

>>> Winston.Atkins@xxxxxxxx 07/12/02 10:29AM >>>

Emily,
You might look at New Pig <https://www.newpig.com/index.jhtml> for
tarp-like deflectors with a hose attachment for directing the water to
barrel. These can be useful for response, but that may not be the
situation
you're trying to address.

 I'm offering it, though, because I'm surprised by the recommendation.
was once told that I couldn't put shields on the tops of stack ranges
because they would interfere with the sprinklers' effectiveness.
Presumably, your insurance appraiser would be up on the fire code,
though.
I'd be interested in hearing from others on the issue.

Best,
Winston

Winston Atkins
Preservation Department