[PADG:1751] RE: water deflectors for stacks

Emily,
If the tarps with hoses that Winston talks about are what you have been
advised to get, I can speak to their use.  We have used them in our leaky
library and I have not been happy with them.  Everyone we have put up has
leaked at the point where the hose connection leaves the tarp.  Our
Facilities Management area has charged $200-$400 per tarp, installed,
depending on the size. If not hung so that the hose is at the lowest point,
water does collect rather than drain.  We have ultimately taken most of the
tarps down and replaced them with 1x1 board frames covered with heavy
plastic - we affectionately refer to them as diapers.  They do interfere
somewhat with air circulation, but are much more effective in controlling
our leaks.
Beth Schobernd
Illinois State University