[PADG:1754] RE: water deflectors for stacks

Emily:

Be sure to take the fire suppression system into consideration.  As a
precaution, you might want to discuss the use of deflectors with a fire safety
expert.

- Walter Cybulski
>>> mcafee@xxxxxxxxx 07/13/02 09:02AM
>>>Emily,I think that the Lilly Library at Indiana
University uses waterdeflectors in their stacks. Jim Canary, the Lilly Rare
Book Conservator,should be able to give you more information
(jcanary@xxxxxxxxxxx  or 812855-6282).
______________________________________Melissa McAfeeResearch
Library DirectorNew York State Historical AssociationThe Farmers'
MuseumPO Box 800  Lake RoadCooperstown, NY  13326607 547
1473 (tel)607 547 1405 (fax)-----Original Message-----From:
owner-padg@xxxxxxx [<A
href="mailto:owner-padg@xxxxxxx]";>mailto:owner-padg@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
EmilyHolmesSent: Friday, July 12, 2002 9:45 AMTo:
padg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [PADG:1748] water deflectors for stacksOur
insurance appraiser recently visited our stacks and suggested the use of
plastic shields that fit to the tops of shelving in order to deflect falling
water from a leak. He seemed to feel they are fairly easy to come by and
relatively inexpensive. Does anyone on the list have any experience with
something like this and have any information about vendors, costs, and
whether or not the products out there are reliable? I'd appreciate any help
you all could give me. Emily HolmesAssistant Preservation
LibrarianElmer Holmes Bobst Library70 Washington Sq. SouthNew York,
NY 10012-1091Phone: (212)998-2518Fax: (212)
995-4583