[PADG:1526] RE: Missing pages?

Werner,

I think this is an interesting idea, although I wonder how your loan people
feel about this? Our loan people would much prefer to give us photocopies to
begin with -because they would prefer to ask for photocopies....I am
interested to know if they won't simply send you scans of photocopies???  I
also wonder how much faith you have in the folks who are operating the
scanner in inter-library loan, and also, have you already had luck making
easy registry using scans-what program are you using?

We have started to scan many color images ourselves for art books or images
that have a color key necessary for information. This has turned out to be
labor intensive, as we send the scanned files to our copy services and they
make the copies and mail them to us, and sometimes we have to wait weeks for
the paper images (we also have to train our people how to scan which is just
one more skill to teach...). We are hoping to purchase a high quality color
printer soon in hopes that we can do the printing ourselves. I do understand
these images aren't forever, and the color isn't perfect, but we make it
obvious that they are copies and this is a service we need to offer to our
art library because they really want it.

I don't know if you are going to go to AIC in Miami this summer, but the
topic for LCCDG (Library Collections Conservation Discussion Group) is
mutilated volumes-discussing and showing examples of how we deal with issues
just like this-maybe you'd be willing to report something by then?

Meg Brown
Conservator
University of Kansas Libraries
Watson Library