[PADG:1414] Pyrethrum - effect on books

I have been doing some research lately on the use of the pesticide pyrethrum
in libraries. Most of the literature these days deals with pesticides in the
context of Integrated Pest Managment (IPM), and most arguments against using
pesticides are based: (1) on effectiveness (it is more effective to
eliminate those environmental factors that allow insects to flourish than to
try to destroy them all); and (2) on the hazards to human health.
Nonetheles, much of the IPM literature allows that in some instances it is
necessary to augment the IPM approach with pesticides.

>From the research I have conducted so far, pyrethrum seems like a good
pesticide to use within an IPM program - when applied correctly it poses
minimal danger to human health and leaves no harmful residues. I have not
been able, however, to find information about the effect of pyrethrum on the
library materials themselves. Does anyone know of any studies that have
looked at the chemical effects of pyrethrum (and other pesticides) on paper,
bindings, etc.?

Greg Bak
Collection Management Assistant for Preservation
Du Bois Library
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003
Tel: 413 545 6877