From: Joy Paulson [mailto:jp243@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 12:03 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:1343] Re: [Joy Paulson <jp243@xxxxxxxxxxx>: Cost-share
Question]

That's a good question.  I think in practice that minor conservation
treatments
were also done on materials in the grant's subject area that needed
treatment
but not reformatting.  So, I was thinking that we would deacidify items that
were
on acidic paper but the paper was still strong.  It doesn't make sense to me
to deacidify a book with very brittle paper, since the paper has been
weakened,
and the deacidification process can't restore strength to the paper.  I'd
say
the library would either film or deacidify a book not both.  However, this
is
something we should clarify with NEH.

Joy