[PADG:1342] Re: Cost-share Question

In regard to the string about mass deacidification, is the inclusion of the note
that "intellectual copyrights [should be] adhered to" for instances of when pages
in books need to be copied for some reason? Pages might need to be copied for
books that will be mass deacidified if they are missing or damaged?. What are
some of the other reasons that copyright enters into the mass deacidification
process?

Thanks,

Deborah Perotti

Joy Paulson wrote:

> I recently asked Charlie Kolb at NEH's Division of Preservation and
> Access about using mass deacidification as cost-share for NEH
> sponsored reformatting projects.  His answer is below, and he has
> given me permission to post it here.
>
> Joy Paulson

> >From: "Kolb, Charles" <CKolb@xxxxxxx>
> >To: "'jp243@xxxxxxxxxxx'" (Joy Paulson) <jp243@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: Cost-share Question
> >Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:14:51 -0400
> >
> >Joy --  George, Jeff and I have discussed your inquiry.

> >cost-share, can they use mass deacidification for cost-share?"
> >The answer is yes.
> >
> >Mass deacidification can, similar to minor conservation treatments, be
> >cost-shared by applicants to the NEH's Brittle Books Preservation
> >Microfilming grant program.  The rationale for mass deacidification and the
> >criteria for selection should be specified in the application, intellectual
> >copyrights adhered to, MARC records updated to reflect the treatment, and
> >the volume must be available for Interlibrary Loan (just as in preservation
> >microfilming).  At this time because this is a "sole vendor" technology,
> >bids for services are not required but the applicant should provide
> >information about estimates costs and include a cost analysis in the
> >narrative report.
> >
> >As you know, the per item "cap" on minor conservation treatments ($25.00 per
> >volume) was removed in 1999.  Since then minor treatments have averaged
> >about $28.50 per volume.  Based on data that we have available, the mass
> >deacidification process has been about $19.00 per volume including costs for
> >MARC upgrades.
> >
> >Charlie
> >

> >Charles C. Kolb
> >Senior Program Officer
> >National Endowment for the Humanities
> >Division of Preservation and Access, Room 411
> >1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
> >Washington, DC  20506
> >
> >ckolb@xxxxxxx
> >
> >202/606-8250 (direct line with voice mail)
> >202/606-8570 (secretary)
> >202/606-8639 (FAX)
> >
> >NEH Internet  http://www.neh.gov

begin:vcard
n:Perotti;Deborah
tel;work:(919) 513-4395
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Preservation Program;NCSU, D. H. Hill Library
adr:;;2205 Hillsborough Street;Raleigh;North Carolina;27695-7111;
version:2.1
email;internet:deborah_perotti@xxxxxxxx
title:Preservation Project Librarian
x-mozilla-cpt:;15104