[PADG:1287] Shrink Wrap

Folks,

Princeton is one of the three principals--the others being NYPL and
Columbia--in a jointly operated remote storage facility that is being
constructed on the Princeton campus.  As part of Princeton's considerations
for selecting and transferring material to this facility after its
completion, we have been investigating shrink-wrapping books with damaged
bindings and/or paper, rather than otherwise protecting these materials in
the usual ways, eg with card stock wrappers, CMIs or phase books, or
envelopes.  The staff here in charge of investigating this angle asked me
to forward to you a few questions regarding two shrink wrap units.  We
would like to hear your views and/or experience with this equipment and
material.  (NB I have checked CoOL but the articles there are 5 or more
years old.)  Here are her questions.

"in particular either a Damark model SMC/STR-16 or a
 >Seal-O-Matic S1420LSC. And of the shrink models in use, what should we
 >be looking for when we make our final decision, i.e., should it be 120
 >or 220v; the conveyor belts, silicone belt vs steel rollers; is there a
 >certain gauge shrink wrap that has been proven to last longer; etc. Any
 >assistance would be greatly appreciated."
Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
Princeton University Library
One Washington Road