[PADG:1286] Re: Nicholson Baker--live!

Hi, Robin.  Thanks for posting the interesting story.  There are no witty rejoinders.  Sitting there nested in his heaps of newspapers, the reality of the situation is going to sink in.  How to inventory, organize, store and catalog the papers, list holdings, provide access.  I noticed that on the "American Newspaper Repository" website, access to the material is restricted.  You have to apply in writing.

That Mr. Baker described himself as a "newspaper librarian" is perhaps the ultimate irony.  That's a real knee-slapper.  That one puts the frosting on the exploding mass deacidification cake.  I knew some folks who stockpiled old magazines in a barn - I guess that makes them serials librarians!  Yee-hah!

Why is it that none of the librarians in the audience spoke out?  Silence won't get us anywhere.

- Walter Cybulski

>>> Robin_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/24/01 02:27PM >>>

Speaking of debates and faulty arguments, I thought preservation folks
might be interested in a "live" Nicholson Baker experience.

Baker was speaking at a bookstore in the SF area last week.  Two of my
colleagues attended out of curiosity.  While their report of the actual
talk was not surprising (several librarians in the audience though none
acknowledged this publicly), it was a later interaction that struck me as
the most interesting information.

As told by my colleague:
"The guy ahead of me in the book-signing line had a bound volume of
newspapers (from, or formerly from, LA Public Library).  They were of a
similar vintage and of the colorful visual nature of those that dominated
Baker's book talk.  The guy was hoping Baker would buy them.  Baker said
that he and his newspaper repository (the purpose of which is to acquire,
preserve, and make available to the public) 'were overwhelmed and couldn't
take on any more.'    I took the opportunity to point out the ironic
symmetry of his situation with the situation he was denouncing  -- and that
librarians, faced with similar circumstances, don't have the leisure to
stop and catch up -- but rather have to find ways to manage what they've
got while they continue acquiring, preserving, cataloging, and serving the
public. "   [Baker evidently couldn't come up with a witty rejoinder .]

Another interesting note from my colleague: "He plans to buy shelves for
his NH warehouse and then put the collection in order.  He despairs of
having become a newspaper librarian, but says that nobody else wants to do
it.  He should reflect at greater length on that."

Perhaps this is the angle to debate?  I, personally, am sorry to have
missed the opportunity to try this angle.

Until ALA,

Robin

                    "Walter Cybulski"
                    <CYBULSKW@xxxxxxx        To:     <padg@xxxxxxx>
                    m.nih.gov>               cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     [PADG:1282] Re: Richard Cox takes on Nicholson Baker--live!
                    owner-padg@xxxxxx

                    04/24/2001 08:30
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    padg

Debate sounds good to me - any chance of getting a transcript? / Walter

>>> l-olley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/24/01 11:12AM >>>
Although I haven't read the book yet, I have read Baker's New Yorker
article, several book reviews, and some of the responses that have been
posted on the web.  For an exposure of some of Baker's own faulty arguments
and misleading rhetorical devises, please see Robert Darton's review in the
New York Review of Books.

In my humble opinion, I think that Cox is a good choice for debater,
because he attempts to understand Baker's arguments and popular appeal in a
context--the collectibles culture of which eBay, Martha Stewart and Bombay
instant collectibles, and the Antique Roadshow are also
manifestations--more appropriate for his allegations and assertions than
the field of librarianship.  I think the debate will be enlightning for
all.