[PADG:1272] Richard Cox takes on Nicholson Baker--live!

At the Center for Research Libraries meeting on Friday, there was a
thoughtful and witty presentation by Archivist Richard Cox responding to
Nicholson Baker's allegations about newspapers and their
preservation.   Cox mentioned that he will be debating Baker at Simmons on
May 16.  The announcement for the event is at
http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/alumni/alumnday01.html.  I don't know if this
has been widely publicized, but I do hope that my east coast colleagues
will be able to attend "The Great Paper Debate" and cheer for our guy.

You may read Cox's response to Baker's New Yorker article on newspapers in
First Monday http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue5_12/cox/.

Lorraine Olley
Head, Preservation Department
Northwestern University Library