[PADG:1223] shelf ready services

At the University of Kentucky, we've had almost three years experience with
the shelf ready services of our approval plan vendor.   We were among
the first to "sign up" for the full shelf ready service on our approvals.
There are many details to share about the shelf prep and cataloging issues, but
I'd like to focus here on the binding issues.
Our monograph acquisitions department recruited the shelf ready
services from the approval plan vendor.  My colleagues were very interested
in improving order-to-shelf turnaround time in an environment of deminishing
resources and constant change.  Of course, shelf ready option looked
great!  My colleagues wanted to "try the service as is" without
tinkering with the approval vendor's concepts.  The basic plans were very
explicit  for cataloging, labeling, property stamping, barcoding and
security stripping, but details about binding of paperbacks were less
well-defined.  That's because the approval vendor outsourced the binding to
a commercial binder.  The approval vendor was at the outset of the
commercial binding learning curve and had yet to encounter many variations on
the binding theme.
When we entered "shelf readydom," we still had our feet firmly planted
in another corporate culture.  Our binding policy was/is to inspect
and/or bind most of the new paperbacks in the main library.  Many new
paperbacks are sent for binding before they circulate.  There are many
exceptions, of course.   Many libraries do not review their new
paperback acquisitions so closely.  We do, because:1.  Our default
format for firm or approval orders is paperback, therefore most titles are
received in softcover2.  Cover art/advertisement is considered valuable
and worthy of preservation3.  24-hour service in the main library, the
use of book drops, and the 24-hr document delivery service to Vandy and Univ Tn
Knoxville (books are packaged in tyvek bags for delivery via "pony express"
within 24 hrs) motivates us to provide protection for these assets.
4.  Adequate budget support

Therefore, we had some very precise and detailed procedures for dealing
with paperbacks.  The "paradigm shift" of letting the vendor "select" what
would be bound was significant.  However.  We needed to try it, and we
needed to work with all the parties to refine the system.  Thus, the
approval vendor proposed a "flat rate" for binding.  At the outset, no
special instructions were included in the approval vendor's binding
profile.

Needless to say, we found out differently after the first shipments
arrived.  Keep in mind that the problems we encountered were due DIRECTLY
to the profiles for selection set up with the approval vendor.  These were
some of the problems/exceptions that our approval plan did not
anticipate:1.  binding of music scores--double fan adhesive binding
of music scores in single signature is not desirable2.  binding of
pamphlets--normally, we'd handle these in-house at less than a $1.00 per
title.  With the approval, we paid in excess of $10.003.  art
catalogs:  heavy, clay coated textblocks were not adequately bound by the
shelf ready stipulation4.  trimming:  gaaaack.  everything
was trimmed.  There was evidence of information loss in every
shipment.
5.  In addition to bindng "too skinny", the vendor also bound "too
fat",  in excess of 2.5 inches in an economy style binding with thin boards
and C cloth.  Picture a C++ manual with a CD in an economy style DFA
binding...6. Mixed media:  no stabilization for CDs, diskettes or
videotapes.  We have a library policy to mainstream "mixed media" items,
therefore, we try to "package" them for easy circulation.  A paperback
book, commerically bound, with a loose CD requires another visit to the
Preservation Dept.  Mixed media had to be "de-selected" from the approval
plan's binding profile to be dealt with efficiently.7.  who is going to
check for binding quality?   according to what standard?  and
does everyone agree?   Is the acquisitions dept ready to inspect every
volume for inner margin integrity, cover cloth appropriateness and/or
spelling/call number on the spine?  Who would provide feedback to the
vendors?  would everyone be speaking the same language?8.  other
shelf prep details:  what kind of labels?  where are the security
strips?  is the property stamping neat and non-invasive?  Is the ink
approved?  where are the barcodes applied?  who would check for shelf
prep quality?

These questions and concerns were addressed within the first six
months.  Our shelf ready costs went up because we factored in more
screening before binding and because we decided to upgrade to higher quality
binding which featured less trimming and other custom features.  The
current selection system and the shelf ready products have worked rather
well.My acquisitions colleagues viewed me as a fussy control freak
during the initial negotiations.  But, they have come to see that I had
some valid points about how "some folks' bright ideas become other folks'
headaches".  My main point was that the approval vendor did not offer many
options because "no one had asked for those options".  That's a drawback if
you want the dubious status of "first on the block..."  So, if more
libraries ask for more options,  I'm certain that the approval vendors will
respond.   At this point, we are the only library (according to the
approval vendor) asking for "do not trim" options.  If other libraries
request and/or specify this preference, I am certain that it will be in the
binding vendors' best interests to supply.

Another minor detail is tracking the costs and quantity for ARL
statistics.  I've asked the approval vendor if they can create a report
that would provide that data.  They think they can comply.  In
Preservation, we have accomplished success by asking vendors to supply what we
need and what we want.  We have not been successful when we've relied on
untested waters or passive approaches.  I think that the shelf ready
services are a great assistance, but I think we need to work collaboratively
with our colleagues to make sure that we are getting the level of
qualitythat we require.  If we ask for what we want, we just might get
it--especially if more than 1 or 2 people ask.If you would like more
details, please feel free to contact me.  I hope that I portrayed this as a
positive learning curve for all.   That's the way I view it.  New
partners and greater goals.Regards,BeckyBecky
RyderPreservation LibrarianWilliam T. Young LibraryUniversity of
KentuckyLexington, Kentucky 40406-0456phone:  859-257-0500,
ext. 2028email:  <A
href="mailto:rjryde01@xxxxxxxxxxx";>rjryde01@xxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message -----From: "Paula De Stefano" <<A
href="mailto:destefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>destefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>To:
<PADG@xxxxxxx>Sent: Tuesday,
February 20, 2001 5:54 PMSubject: [PADG:1217] Shelf-ready
binding> As part of NYU Libraries' approval plan, our vendor has
offered> to bind new paperbacks, as well as provide cataloging
and> labeling, so they can go directly to the shelf when received.
Is> this binding shortcut  coming up for anyone else? Are any of
you> doing this already, or have any of you seen examples of the>
bindings approval plan vendors are offering?>>
Paula De Stefano> Barbara Goldsmith Curator for Preservation
and>   Head, Preservation Department> New York
University Libraries> 70 Washington Square South> New York, NY
10012> Voice:  212/998-2563> Fax:
212/995-4583> Email:  <A
href="mailto:paula.destefano@xxxxxxx";>paula.destefano@xxxxxxx>