[PADG:1222] Re: Shelf-ready binding

Paula,

I have to agree with Lois, regarding binding all paperbacks. We have
never done that here, but I did talk to another library that used
to bind all of their paperbacks. In general, most of our books are
never/rarely checked out.  So most paperbacks that "fail" are usually
those that are very popular, or that have been on reserve.

At the end of each semester I do review all of the new reserve paperbacks
to determine which should be bound. (I'd like to bind them as they
come in, but usually they are needed for reserve asap)

I realize we are very small compared to you ! Just another opinion

Gretchen Stroh

Gretchen Fulforth Stroh
Materials Processing & Preservation Assistant
McCabe Library, Swarthmore College
500 College Ave, Swarthmore PA 19081
gstroh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When faced with uncertainty, there is always hope!