[PADG:1150] Re: PARS--why it works the way it does

       I absolutely agree with Lorraine and Steve that we don't want
       to fix something till it's broke. But I do think that we need
       to start factoring in electronic participation (of which this
       is a good example).

       Can (should) there be effective electronic Discussion Group
       exchanges between conferences?

       Could such exchanges be organized in ways similar to DG
       meetings?

       Could they come up with action ideas to bring to the parent
       committee?

       Could they replace in-a-room meetings?

       ALA Council just approved (provisionally) using chat software
       for Association business. They were thinking of it for unit
       meetings but it might work very well for DG's.

       It seems to me that one or two of the DG's could could
       experiment with trying to carry on discussion by list or chat
       or some other means and use some of their face-to-face time to
       evaluate the experience.

       Bob DeCandido