[PADG:1153] Re: PARS--why it works the way it does

One quick note of information

The PARS/CMDS DG  ceased in 1999
due to no chair/ poor attendance and lack of Discussion
It should have disappeared from the schedule

more later

Barbara

At 12:50 PM 1/19/01 -0600, you wrote:
>At 10:51 AM 01/19/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>It seems to me that one or two of the DG's could could
>>        experiment with trying to carry on discussion by list or chat
>>        or some other means and use some of their face-to-face time to
>>        evaluate the experience.
>>
>>        Bob DeCandido
>

>Well, this is a good start!
>
>There were several good ideas expressed at PARS DG addressing the
>scheduling problem:

>8-10 pm slot at all conferences.  This would create more slots for
>scheduling the DGs.

>on Saturday, if memory serves.  It would be painful to some,  but would
>free up PADG time for discussion rather than hearing a series of
>reports.  It would also make the reports, and contact with the
>representatives who make them, more widely available to the membership,
>rather than just to those of us who get to conference early.
>
>3.  "Sunset" discussion groups that have low attendance (say, 10 or fewer
>participants for two conferences), and/or have trouble identifying an
>individual to step up as chair.  Electronic Imaging and Preservation
>Course and Workshop Instructors DGs have gone away.  What about CMDS/PARS
>DG, which keeps appearing on the schedule?
>
>4.  Encourage chairs of DGs with similar interests to look at combining DG
>sessions for a few conferences, or permanently.  This was done
>successfully by Library Binding and Binding Automation DGs at Midwinter in
>a temporary arrangement, and by Preservation Course and Workshop
>Instructors and Education and Outreach permanently.  For this to work it
>is especially important to identify and share potential DG topics early on.
>
>I strongly support exploring 3 and 4 before messing with the
>schedule.  I'm also in favor of the reporting session (as long as it's
>scheduled in a venue with really good coffee!).  I think the last resort
>would be 1, which would involve added expense for many of us.
>
>Any other thoughts?  If we come to some consensus here, could we then pass
>it along to PARS Policy and Planning to work on before San Francisco?
>

>__________________________
>
>Lorraine Olley
>Head, Preservation Department
>Northwestern University Library
>1935 Sheridan Road
>Evanston, IL 60208
>USA
>847-491-4672 v
>847-491-8306 f
>l-olley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Barbara Berger Eden				phone: 607-255-5291
Preservation Reformatting Librarian	fax:	607-254-7493
Cornell University Library			email:	beb1@xxxxxxxxxxx
B32 Olin Library
Ithaca, NY 14853