Laser or Thermal Spine Labels

A little time has passed since Debra McKern posted "Labeling
Specifications and Practices at the Library of Congress (8.4.99)" on the
PADG@xxxxxxx listserve. This has made the task of framing our libraries'
discussion of labeling practice much easier.  We, too, are looking to
change from Se-Lin heat activated labels to Laser or Thermal Printed
Pressure Sensitive Labels.

Are there libraries who have acted on the information that was posted
in August, especially large academic libraries, who could share their
experience on this matter?  Specific questions that we have are:

* Have you decided on thermal or laser printing?

* Have you tried different suppliers of laser or thermal label stock?

* What are indicators of high quality/long lasting laser printing for
labels?

* Are there any libraries that have experience with Gaylord spine labels:

Laser labels for OCLC formats
SP1/SP2 No. 9003

or

Processing Labels
(Laser Printer)
No.LSL01

* Has anyone explored laser or thermal printed call# labels inside book?

Thank you for your assistance.

Carl T. Stewart, Library Technician III
University of Colorado Libraries
Preservation Department CB 184