Re: storage of silver, diazo, and vesicular microforms

Wes:

I am looking at ANSI/AIIM TR13-1998, "Preservation of Microforms in an Active Environment - Guidline," and on page 15, Section 11.1.3, "Physical arrangement of microforms," the first paragraph states: "Because of posible chemical interactions, films of different generic types (silver halide, diazo, or vesicular, for example) should not be interfiled or be in physical contact with one another."  The various reasons for not interfiling the film types are discussed in the report.

I think AIIM TR-13-1998 is primarily the work of Suzanne Dodson (University of British Columbia).  It is worth knowing about and its use should be promoted for all repositories with collections of various types of microforms.

- Walter Cybulski
Preservation & Collection Management
National Library of Medicine

>>> Wes Boomgaarden <boomgaarden.1@xxxxxxx> 11/04 10:48 AM >>>
Dear colleagues:

  Once again confessing  what I *should* know, but don't, I query you about
*current thinking* in the storage of different types of microfilm and
microfiche in circulating collections.

  Specifically, is it OK for silver, diazo and vesicular microfilm or
microfiche to co-exist in closed cabinetry?  In the past, as you recall, we
counseled against especially silver and diazo film/fiche co-existing in the
same metal cabinets.  Our basis for the opinion was the relatively high
corrosive or other deleterious off-gassing effects of some of the formats to
the others.

  Thank you for helping me short-circuit research on this.

  Sincerely,

  Wes
Wesley L. Boomgaarden
Preservation and CQI Officer