Re: Brittle book repair

I have found the discussion on this subject very interesting.  I think these questions strike at the very issues that collections conservation is grappling with on a daily basis.  Each day Meg Brown, our conservator, evaluates dozens of volumes that are, as Janice describes, "brittle, difficult to replace, and still in demand by library users."  At the University of Kansas Libraries, over 7,000 brittle volumes circulate each year—we have funding to proactively cope (i.e., reformatting) with 250-300 of those volumes.  This leaves us with a dilemma.  Meg and I are constantly wrestling with the issue of what to do with brittle volumes.  We do test the boundaries looking for ways to EFFECTIVELY treat brittle volumes that will make them accessible for real use (i.e., photocopying  :-) for years to come.  This kind of a question exemplifies the need for professional collections conservators as argued for by the preservation field for many years.  These kinds of questions must be answered at the institutional level, on an item-by-item basis, using sound cost and treatment analysis, by those trained to understand the physics of book structure and the nature of embrittled paper.

As I said, a tough question.  It is these kinds of questions that makes me glad I have a good collections conservator on staff.  My only advice would be when in doubt, defer to your conservator's trained judgment and experience.

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\
Brian J. Baird
Preservation Librarian
University of Kansas
502 Watson Library
Lawrence, KS 66045-2800
(785) 864-3568
fax: (785) 864-5311
bbaird@xxxxxxxxx

>>> Janice C Mohlhenrich <jmohlhe@xxxxxxxxx> 05/05 8:56 AM >>>
Hello all,

Here at Emory our practice concerning brittle books has been to seek
replacements, build enclosures or to reformat through preservation
microfilming or preservation photocopying.  We have not done any repairs
due to concern with creating additional damage, and due to the time and
expense involved in working with these fragile materials.

Many volumes in our theology library are brittle, difficult to replace,
and still in demand by library users.  Library staff would like for us to
perform some book repair treatments on these volumes, sufficient to give
perhaps 5-10 years of useability.  Heavy use is not predicted for these
materials.

Our conservator is resistant to doing "bad repairs."  As preservation
officer I agree, but also want to offer the best possible service in a
"real world" situation where best practice may not result in the desired
ends.

How are other libraries handling this?  Do you do any repair treatments to
brittle volumes?  What is your rationale for repairing, or for not
repairing these materials?  Is there a reasonable compromise solution that
will extend the life of these materials?

I'd appreciate your perspective on this problem.

Thanks you,

Janice Mohlhenrich
Coordinator, Preservation Initiatives & Services
Emory University
Atlanta, GA
404-727-2437
jmohlhe@xxxxxxxxx