Re: Brittle book repair

One consideration that helps us at Hopkins and which I also
used at Michigan State was to make the distinction between
brittle and very brittle materials.  Very brittle breaks at
one or two folds, brittle at 3 or 4. That is a distinction
that we decided on.

At Michigan State  having that
distinction allowed us to make decisions for
possible repair or reformatting.  We did no repair on very
brittle and limited repair on brittle based on decisions
made by bibliographers on value and use.

At Hopkins we also use the distinction to help determine
decisions.  We will do some repair on brittle, but no repair
on very brittle which is either reformated or replaced.

Jeanne Drewes
Preservation Department 		voice 410 516 5486
Milton S. Eisenhower Library 	NEW NEW!! fax 410 516 4355
Johns Hopkins University
3400 N. Charles Street		jdrewes@xxxxxxx
Baltimore, MD 21218
	http://milton.mse.jhu.edu:8001/library/pres/jeanne.htm