Re: Food & drink policies

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Wes Boomgaarden wrote:

> We'll stipulate that only coffee and tea, (and bottled water) will be
> sold, and only in those ubiquitous "permanent" molded plastic mugs that one
> brings in or purchases on site.  (These containers, but not throwaways, are
> now welcomed into the library.)  No food.  The vending will be located in a
> place where noise is not an issue, and where space isn't at premium.

What Wes describes is a compromise I think I could live with. (We don't
have any extra space for a coffee bar, but given the high level of
caffeine consumption here in Boulder, it won't surprise me if one is
configured into our long-term plans for renovation of the building.) We
already allow water bottles and "containers originally sold empty", on the
assumption that if the patron spent his own money on it, he's more likely
to take it with him when leaving.

I would strongly recommend discussing any proposed changes to a library's
food and drink policy with the maintenance staff before implementation.
And finally, none of this applies to rare books, special collections, or
archives reading rooms, where a "no food or drink" rule must be ruthlessly
enforced.

Sara R. Williams			Phone:  (303) 492-3849
Head, Preservation Department		FAX: (303) 492-0494
University Libraries			Sara.Williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Campus Box 184
University of Colorado - Boulder
Boulder CO  80309-0184