Re: Food & drink policies

Dear colleagues:

  I just completed the new ARL SPEC Survey on Managing the Consuption of
Food and Drink policies, and I would guess that those of you on the list who
are from ARL institutions will see it, too.  George Soete has organized the
22-question survey.  (spec@xxxxxxx will probably get you more information.)

  Although I never would have predicted it even five years ago, we're
considering opening a coffee bar in the Main library here at Ohio State, and
I think it'll be a "go" if we can find the right contractor to run the
thing. We'll stipulate that only coffee and tea, (and bottled water) will be
sold, and only in those ubiquitous "permanent" molded plastic mugs that one
brings in or purchases on site.  (These containers, but not throwaways, are
now welcomed into the library.)  No food.  The vending will be located in a
place where noise is not an issue, and where space isn't at premium.

  Our philosophy is that it will be convenience for our readers who, like
me, love to have good coffee or tea when reading.  It will also add, we
think, some additional good will to the libraries by our primary clientele,
the students.  Frankly, I'm all for it, if we can start it thoughtfully.

  I once hoped for a food- and beverage-free library system, but I think the
preferences and habits of our readers, users, patrons, customers (whatever
you call them) dictate that we make our policies and practices more flexible.

  Sincerely,

  Wes Boomgaarden
  Ohio State

At 04:17 PM 4/29/98 +0600, you wrote:
>I, too, am very interested in other libraries' policies about food
>and drink.  This issue raised its ugly head again here at a meeting
>last week when I heard the suggestion to construct a coffee bar
>INSIDE the main library building.  We are short of stacks and study
>space and I'm afraid I went into shock instead of objectively listing
>the reasons why it was not the best idea from a preservation
>perspective.   So, please send your policies, advice, and compelling
>arguments to this list or to me personally.   Thanks in advance.

>> This is under discussion again at our library, and I'm happy to say that
>> it looks like things will be getting tighter, not looser. A CoOL search
>> did not turn up any policies on this topic. I'd like to compile a list
>> of current Web-mounted policies for Walter. If you have one, please send
>> the URL to me.
>>
>> Normandy
>> --
>> Normandy Helmer
>> Director, Oregon Newspaper Microfilming Project
>> Head, Preservation & Binding Dept.
>> University of Oregon Library
>> 541-346-1864/Fax 541-346-3485
>> nhelmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx