Re: electronic/paper format & weeding

This conundrum is rather like the photo shops in my area which
aggressively advertise that they will convert your old home
movies to tape - ostensibly for "preservation." The dirty
little secret, of course, is that the tape media probably have
a shorter life expectancy than the media being converted to
them. That, of course, is analog.
But likewise, the last time I looked, the digital data
storage situation was similarly problematic, that is to say, the
notorious combination of media deterioration/hardware+software
obsolescence. Any proposal to burn bridges in the wake of
"Progress" _ in this case, sugar-coated with the euphemism
"reformatting" - ought to be tempered by the trueism that
"Forever is a long, long time."
Henry Grunder
Conservation/Preservation Coordinator
The Library of Virginia (which would never claim my
views/opinions as its own)
According to Barbara Sagraves: