Re: pressure-sensitive labels within the textblock

Sherry:
  Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  The crux of my dilemma is I can't
decide if I'll be "progressive" or simply succumbing to expediency in this
area of having a pressure-sensitive label on the title-page or verso or last
page of text.  Intuition tells me a stiff label will be damaging over time;
but I don't have hard evidence.  Common sense tells me that pencilling-in
call numbers is tedious and prone to error, but is benign and
changable/reversible.

  We've progressed to placement of foil-backed labels on the covers of all
serials as part of the III serials check-in operation, a system that is very
swift and sure.

  But now we're getting closer to that label-versus-pencil approach, a much
bigger and more difficult onion to peel.

  However, I did hear from Julie Page that UCSD places a barcode label in
the book textblock, I think on the titlepage.

  Ah, you pays your money, you takes your choice.

  Thanks again for your info.

  Wes