Re: Serials microfilming

I believe that Section 108 of the Copyright Law covers us thoroughly on
making three generations of microfilm for purposes of preservation,
regardless of imprint date.  For years we have been filming through 1950
routinely if a serial is or can be made complete.  What I am really
interested in is filming beyond this date if a title is a) important
bibliographically, b) not already filmed appropriately, and c) printed on
highly acidic paper.  I am mindful of Irene Schubert's concerns about
stretching limited resources.  Yet most of our filming takes place within
the confines of NEH projects in which the resources are targeted at the
comprehensive preservation of collections.  Isn't it better to go through
these collections systematically and completely only once and then move on
to other areas?

At 09:46 AM 10/31/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Paul -- I feel most comfortable dealing with serials on a
>title-by-title basis.  When filming brittle foreign periodical
>titles, I'll film up as high as 1950, because I'm less concerned
>about copyright.  U.S. titles, however, we frequently stop at the
>copyright cut-off, now 1922.  NYU is particularly sensitve to
>copyright infringement. Brittle volumes past that date, are
>either replaced with preservation photocopy, or boxed to consolidate
>and protect them.  (Of course, any titles already available on film
>are bought and the hard copy is tossed to make room on shelves. Space
>is a huge issue here).  --Paula
>

>Paula De Stefano
>Head, Preservation Department
>New York University Libraries