re: Is the list live?

[Moderator's note: I received many responses to my comment about the list
members' passivity. All were sent to my personal e-mail address rather
than to the list moderators and I'm not sure how many of them were
intended as personal notes to myself. I'll wait another day or two and
post them in digest form. The following note, in any case, is clearly
intended for the list.]

Josh Proschan, and all other list members:

I am one of the moderators whom Cary Karp mentions as being conspicuous by
their absence. It has been a very busy summer, but now I am back to my
desk and clearing stuff up. One of my chief projects is to prepare an
email version of "Recommendations for the Conservation of Musical
Instruments."  This is an anotated bibliography produced by CIMCIM (Comite
international des Musees et collections d'instruments de musique, a
committee of the International Council of Museums). This document is of
most use to those not fully immersed in museum conservation. I hope to
have this ready soon, and would welcome any comments upon it.

Please keep your enquiries, observations and suggestions coming. Here's an
enquiry from me to anybody on the list: I am looking for case histories of
musical instruments that have passed through several phases of
restoration, repair and conservation. This is part of a dissertation I am
pursuing regarding attitudes to musical instruments both in the museum and
the private sector. As this project matures I will feed more such feelers
into the list.

Bob Barclay,
Canadian Conservation Institute,
Ottawa