Oiling winds

Another forum that I follow (Bagpipes) has been having a lively discussion
of the merits of oiling wind instruments.  My understanding was that one was
much better off using Almond Oil (or some other polymerizing oil) than Bore
Oil  or other mineral oils, which never dry.  I know this is true in the
salad bowl and cutting board making part of wood working because mineral
oils attract crud and give the item a grimy look, whereas Walnut Oil (often
the oil of choice) dries and gives a clean looking finish.  Related to this,
is the oil of any real utility, or is it purely aesthetic?  I know my pipes
"sound brighter" after oiling, but is there any objective truth to my
perception (or is this another case of the "I put a lot of effort into this,
of course it's better" phenomena?)
Jim

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]