Re: Nitric fumes

The recent discussion of Nitic acid for staining reminds me of a lecture
given by the woodwind maker Frederick von Heune.

While nitric acid was used historically to darken boxwood instruments
Frederick refuses to follow suit, he feels the risks in handling it and the
damage it does to the wood are enough excuse to avoid it.  For awhile he
experimented with various dies, including analine dies, but settled on Lady
Clairol!

BTW, the tanin content of oak varies with specie, many comercial specie
will not react to the amonia fumes comonly used to color oak, I recall some
discussion in Fine Woodworking magazine on this colorizing technique.

--
Dana S. Emery
Smithsonian Institution

(301) 238-3444     (voice)