Re: Wood stains

> After this dries, apply a solution of iron salts Often Iron(III)Sulfate,
> often called (confusingly) Copper as nitric acid was commonly used on maple

Also used on boxwood and other light woods, usually by fuming, which is to
put the item to be stained in an airtight box with a container of nitric
acid and add some iron (old nails usually) to the acid and close the lid
(quickly).  The nitric acid plus iron produces NO2, that orangish cloud you
see in polluted sunsets, which surrounds the wood and reacts with it,
coloring it permanently.  The advantage to fuming is that it is much more
controllable and even than wiping the nitric acid directly on the wood with
a rag (and easier on the hands!!!).

Jim McGill (yes,  I used to be an analytical chemist, but don't tell anyone)

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]