wood stains; clarinets

George Kloppel <geok@aol.com> recently wrote:

>You didn't mention the species of wood, so I'm a little in the dark here, but
>have you considered the possibility that the original color was produced with
>nitric acid? That would account for thinness and lack of running. This was
>(and still is) a common treatment for violin fittings. On some woods the
>result is quite black, and the burning can be done very superficially, so
>that the colored surface wears through.
>
>Iron staining is another possibility .  I wish someone would tell me how
>that's done.

For furniture, iron staining is usually a two-step process.  The first
is to apply tannic acid (or very strong tea).  [For oak the first step
is unnecessary.]  After this dries, apply a solution of iron salts
(off-hand, I don't remember which).  This is only one example of a wide
range of two-step stains and dyes.

There are several exhaustive treatments of chemical stains for woods
written for cabinetmakers and furniture refinishers.  George Frank's two
books are probably the most recent and most authoritative.  If anyone is
interested, let me know and I'll dig up exact titles.

I don't have my references handy, but think that nitric acid was commonly
used on maple; in particular, gunstocks for Pennsylvania rifles.  There are
descriptions of the process in books on checkering and finishing gunstocks.

On another topic: there was a reference some weeks back to a pair of Euler
clarinets.  I am familiar with the mathematician Euler, and the clarinet
maker Oehler; but have never heard of a clarinet maker named Euler.  Does
anyone have any references to him and his work?

Does anyone have recommendations for the care of a clarinet (old, but not
antique) that is only played occasionally?  Preserving the wood is the prime
consideration; keywork second, and pads last.

Joshua Proschan          jproschan@mcimail.com

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]