Status report and clarinets

Here's a quick note from the itinerant list moderator. Those of
you who saw my last note will know that I'm currently out on the
road and therefore not able to perform my assigned duties with
any particular speed. Newcomers are hereby informed that such is
the case. I'll be returning home on Thursday and should be back
on track before the end of the weekend.

The purpose of my trip was to convene with other providers of
museum related services on the Internet and I'll report on
relevant interesting developments to the list later on. I also
spent some time with Scott Odell (another of the moderators)
during the past week and we did some plotting and scheming about
how best to address the numerous questions which have been asked
but not answered on the list thus far. We're very reluctant to
assume the role of "resident experts", answering questions as
they are asked simply to keep the list moving. We know that there
are many list members who are no less able to deal with many of
these questions than we are, but as yet many of them have chosen
to keep silent. So as yet another in a series of nudges, c'mon!

As a first step towards shifting my own gears:

Quoting Joshua Proschan <0004839378@mcimail.com>:

> On another topic: there was a reference some weeks back to a
> pair of Euler clarinets.  I am familiar with the mathematician
> Euler, and the clarinet maker Oehler; but have never heard of a
> clarinet maker named Euler.  Does anyone have any references to
> him and his work?

If memory serves, this discussion was on the clarinet list. I
didn't get a chance to check out the maker's name before going on
the road but would guess that Euler could be a misreading of
Oehler. Again, if memory serves, the description of the
instruments made them too late to have had anything to do with
the mathematician, Euler. However, there could easily have been
other Eulers, **AND**  the math guy was involved in several
musical instrument design projects.

> Does anyone have recommendations for the care of a clarinet
> (old, but not antique) that is only played occasionally?
> Preserving the wood is the prime consideration; keywork second,
> and pads last.

Among the documents slated for dredging up and being made
available to the list members is material of some relevance to
this question.

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]