Presentation

I'm not a music preservation professional but I've worked on documenting
the history of the Irish bagpipes (uilleann pipes).  I own two precious
old sets and would like to get them into playing condition while keeping
them as much like their original state as possible.  One was made by
Michael Egan, who died in New York in 1860, the other by William and
Charles Taylor, who died in Philadelphia at the end of the century.  Both
of these makers were eminent in their respective styles.

My interest in the mailing list is to know more about restoration, to make
a wiser choice when I find someone to do the actual work.

I'd like to ask a question that has worried some pipers who own old sets.
It's not exactly on musical restoration, but closely related.  My pipes
have ivory decorations.  I've heard that ivory coming into the United
States is subject to confiscation by the U.S. customs.  Is there an
exemption for historical instruments?  I hope so.  If so, how does one go
about getting it?

Barry O'Neill

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]