Introduction

By way of introduction, I am a conservator of books and archival
materials at Stanford University Libraries, where I've been working in
conservation since 1973.  My interest in musical instruments is casual
and my knowledge nil, but I'm looking forward to the discussions
eagerly; contact with conservators in other disciplines is valued
and, sadly, increasingly rare.

I am trying to get MICAT-L's traffic archived in Conservation OnLine
(about which more when the kinks are worked out) and the real reason
for posting this message is to test the program that is taking care of
the archiving. I fear I shall have to burden you with a few test
messages over the next few days and hope you will bear with me. All the
tests will be clearly identified as such in the Subject: line, so you
can skip over them.

Walter Henry
Assistant Conservator
Stanford University Libraries