Re: shedding of veils

OK. Introductions all around.  I'm an amateur woodwind maker, specializing
in bagpipes, and more specifically in less common eastern European ones
(like sacpipas and cimpois).  I have a Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry and
have done some work in paper and wood conservation (though I suspect the
state of the art has changed a bit in the 15 years since I was active.)

Professionally I program computers for a font technology firm called
ElseWare. My interests are, naturally,  in wood conservation and
restoration. I am also interested in learning about modern materials with an
eye towards what to use and what to avoid (i.e., during the '30's Celluloids
were used extensively as horn substitutes, but they are now crumbling
because they were not stable in the long term.  I suspect there are similar
problems with some modern plastics.)  Mostly I expect I shall be a lurker,
using this list as a source of information and occasionally fielding
chemistry related questions.

Jim McGill

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]