[Table of Contents] [Search]

Re: [frameconnews] Fw: MOUNTBOARD QUERY

In a message dated 10/30/00 03:19:01 CST, Stephen.Todd@btinternet.com writes:

> My real reason for contacting you (I have been putting this off for months)
> is to ask you if you would be able to confirm / advise if it is considered
> okay for me to use Crescent's range of Museum Grade Conservation Board when
> coloured mounts are called for.  The work I am doing can be considered to
be "
> preserving the nation's heritage".

Meg,

Crescent's rag mats would be acceptable under FACTS standards. The top paper
is bleed/fade resistant and also rag.

Neilson-Bainbridge have a product that will also meet these requirements, in
fact, surpasses them.

NB has chosen to go the route of purified alphacellulose. While many in the
industry feel "only cotton has stood the test of time", tests by NB and other
independent labs show alphacellulose to be the same strenth and to last as
long as cotton fibres.

Furthermore, NB ArtCare is the ONLY board available in the world today that
incorporates zeolites throughout the board. No other manufacturer uses
zeolites.

Zeolites are highly designed and specific molecular traps. These traps act
aggressively when a pollutant passes by them. NB has designed their zeolites
to be hydrophobic. This means they do not want water and will repel it. This
is good b/c it ensures the board doesn't absorb too much moisture.

Using other rag boards will ensure the artwork is not affected by the board.
It is a passive method of preservation. Using NB ArtCare will not only ensure
the artwork is not affected by the board, but it will also protect the
artwork from pollution in the room and from any deleterious gases that may
occur (from the breakdown of the artwork for example). It is an aggressive
method of protection which will preserve the artwork over a longer period of
time.

Kenneth Brooks   PPFA  FACTS project member  AFC
Integrity Framing & Art Gallery
Wichita Falls, TX, USA