[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] Fw: MOUNTBOARD QUERY

----- Original Message -----
From: Meg Jones
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 9:38 PM
Subject: MOUNTBOARD QUERY

Dear Stephen Todd,

I am a framer, working privately on some conservation work.  For some years I have been trying to do the best thing with material supply but like many others I have often been confused by different manufacturers claims and the terminology used to describe various products;  in particular, mountboards.

I do now know the recommended minimum thicknesses of board and that the highest quality is 100% cotton.  I aim to work to standards recommended by both the IPC and FATG.  My dilemma is that in the work I am doing I am called upon to copy old mounts, using colours as near as possible to the originals.  This has involved lengthy work for a conservator to colour the mounts for me.

My real reason for contacting you (I have been putting this off for months) is to ask you if you would be able to confirm / advise if it is considered okay for me to use Crescent's range of Museum Grade Conservation Board when coloured mounts are called for.  The work I am doing can be considered to be "preserving the nation's heritage".

I do hope that it is not a real cheek to ask you this, but I know of your efforts to clarify this whole situation for framers and others.  I would really appreciate it if you felt able to make a reply to this message.

Yours sincerely

Meg Jones