[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] Re: Fw: Hairspray as a fixative

>>>A customer has just brought in a chalk drawing done by an accomplished South African Artist. She was advised by the artist to use hairspray as a fixative. The artist apparantly always uses hairspray as a fixative for chalk.  Initially I threw up my hands in horror - especially when I saw marks on the paper where it had been sprayed - but, am I missing something?  Because hairspray comes into contact with our skin is it considered acidfree? <<<

No, don't use hairspray as a fixative.  The truth is that we don't have any way to know the ingredients.   Maybe some include chemicals that could react inside the closed environment of a frame, and show damage later.

Products made for skin contact are not necessarily acid free.  Indeed, our skin contains acids, as do many of the soaps and detergents, and other things we put on our skin -- maybe including hairspray.

I suggest using *no* fixatives, because (A) They change the texture and color of pastels, charcoal, chalk and other fugitive media; (B) They work only marginally at best; and (C) They are only temporary in any case.

Look at it this way:  Spread a pile of sand on a board, then spray it with a heavy coat of any fixative, paint or varnish.  Let it dry thoroughly.  Then lift it up vertically and see what happens.  There will be a crust on the sand, caused by the coating, but the media beneath will still be loose.  The crust will crack or flake; the media will still move and disintegrate.

James Miller, PPFA-CPF; GAFP Committee Member
Suburban central Ohio, USA
www.ARTFRAMEit.com

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/frameconnews