[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] Re: mounting silk

D'Amelio schrieb:
> Dear Friends,
> We live in Argentina in a city called Rosario 300 km. north from Buenos
>  Aires. We are artists and run a small framing shop.
> We're working in art and conservation framing and we�re very happy to have
>  found this interesting place to exchange ideas.
> We have been asked to mount some Japanese silk kerchiefs on a board. Our
>  client wants them very tight and without wrinkles.
> We don't know exactly what to do, because we don�t want to mount them by
>  gluing and run the risk to ruin them. Have any of you done it before? We'll
>  appreciate very much any comments about this topic especially which would be
>  the most suitable kind of acid free glue to use.
> Thank you very much
> Damelio Gilardoni
>
>Dear Damelio, in order to get the Japanese silk kerchiefs very tight you have
to double them with strong Japanese paper glued with rice starch paste and
special Japanese bruhes on the back of the silk. For this a special prodecure
used by Chinese and Japanese conservators to mount images and calligraphies on
paper and silk on scrolls has to be applied. I myself apply this method and
described it in a German magazine for picture framing 4 years ago. The article
contains a step by step instruction supported by 10 illustrations. The total
article comprises 8 printed pages in the magazin. I intend to have this article
translated into English and printed in THE PICTURE BUSINESS. THE BUSINESS
MAGAZINE FOR ART AND FRAMING, London.

Dr. Horst Weidmann
Frame maker, master framer and restorer
Former editor of "Der Kunsthandel", a German magazine for pictures and frames
(http://www.conarte.de)
Editor of RAHMENWELT, the new German magazine for picture framing
(http://www.glaswelt-net@rahmenwelt, with an English version)
E-mail address: conarte@t-online.de