[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] Re: Tapes

On 29 Jun 99, at 11:38, Stephen Todd wrote:

> Simply put it was the traditional method of starch paste
> and Japenese paper against propriety self adhesive tapes
> and or archival ready made tapes, etc. If you wish to make
> a contribution it would be warmly welcome.

My opinion: (for what it's worth....) always (yes, always) use a good hand-
made japanese paper and home-cooked wheat-starch. I have never seen
any examples of deterioration of this combination, nor in books, artwork or
other situations; except of course when external influences (like water-
damage, extreme humidity etc.) have done their work.
I've seen many (yes, many) examples of all kinds of desastrous "propriety
self adhesive tapes and or archival ready made tapes" so why not "stick" to
the proven method ...........?

Regards,

Cor Knops.

___________________________
Knops Boekrestauratie
Conservation & Restoration of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
phone 00 31 46 4200024
fax   00 31 46 4110180
e-mail    knops@xs4all.nl
URL       http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/knops.htm
Also have a look at our Book Information Website:
          http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/index3.htm and on
          http://www.tonkoopman.nl

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/frameconnews