[Table of Contents] [Search]

Re: Societies etc

Frank said...

>... I've seen FACTS on the PPFA web site. I disagree
>with some of its assumtions about - for instance, the
difference between
>museum board and conservation board, as percieved in
Europe, but conceed
>that they have done a lot of work.

Difference between museum board and conservation board?
Please tell me more; what are the differences?  The terms
"museum",  "conservation" and "preservation" are often used
interchangeably here in reference to boards.

Regarding boards for matting & mounting,  we in the USA
generally consider 100% Rag and alpha-cellulose boards that
are lignin free, acid free, and buffered with calcium
carbonate, to be suitable for most
museum/conservation/preservation uses.  One notable
exception is to use un-buffered boards for
alkaline-sensitive applications such as some photos and
organic items.  Also, we usually keep the colored top papers
of 4-ply boards from coming in contact with artwork.

Please give details about the European definitions.

If you see discrepancies or errors in FACTS published
information, please make them known to FACTS.   Better
still, join the GAFP committee and contribute to the writing
& revisions of the standards.

James Miller, CPF; GAFP Committee Member
Suburban central Ohio, USA
http://www.netexp.net/~artframe