Sender:       Archives & Archivists
<ARCHIVES@MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU>
Poster:       David Frazee <Dfrazee@CI.ESCONDIDO.CA.US>
Subject:      Disaster preparedness in the archives

A month ago I requested information which could improve my disaster
preparedness - specifically concerning the supplies I keep reserved and
protected.  I'm going to put this listserv into vacation mode for a while to
get some work done, so I wanted to send the complete list and allow a
few days for discussion before I go.   I received several responses, but I
would like to specifically thank Bernadette Bean, Julie Page, and
Jeannine Lacy for their contributions.

    ARCHIVAL DISASTER KIT
33 gal. plastic trash can with lid
1 roll 10' x 100'  2 mil plastic sheeting
10 large plastic trash bags (to fit can)
2 large sponges
1 Lysol spray can, 19 oz.
1 box disposable latex gloves
2 rolls paper towels
     *note concerning blotting paper
Pencils, 1 doz. sharpened
2 black permanent marking pens
Yellow lined pad
Freezer paper (quantity?)
100 Plastic pegs (clothes pins)
Plastic string
Plastic paper clips
Scissors, 1 pair
Staple removers
Polaroid camera with film
Flashlight with batteries
     *note on camera, film and batteries

1  5 gal. bucket with airtight lid
     *note concerning bucket
Duplicate keys to janitor's closet, offices, fire panels, valve rooms,
      air-conditioning plants etc.
A plan of the building
A written plan with care instructions and priority treatment plans for
     each specific medium
A contact list
     *big note concerning list

Plastic crates (e.g. milk crates)
     *note on crates
10 dust masks
Mops and brooms
1 roll duct tape
1 roll electrical or plumbing tape
1 roll "Do not enter" barricade tape
A basic tool kit (claw hammer, pliers, spanners, screw drivers, crescent
     wrench to fit gas main)
A few pairs of cotton and leather (working) gloves
Overalls and dustcoats

*If you don't have the storage space, you should make arrangements for
the delivery of urgent bulk supplies of blotting paper.

*The camera and film is used to document the damage for FEMA and/or
your insurance company.  The film and batteries should be changed
annually.  Photographing your newly received artifacts and borrowed
items for their documentation is a valuable practice.  So, purchase a roll
of new film for that purpose which you place in your disaster kit and use
the kit's film instead.

*Keep most of the kit in air tight plastic garbage cans so it will float if the
building becomes flooded.

*Contact list (including after hours numbers) of all people, organizations,
and vendors you might need to contact immediately.  Include those who
will be required to assess the safety of the building before you enter it;
make prior arrangements with the Fire and Police departments to re-enter
your building early to protect the collections.  Apparently, after many
disasters, they won't let you back in for at least 48 hours.   You may also
need to rent, and so should make arrangements for, an electric
generator, a wet/dry vacuum cleaner, industrial size electric fans,
movable scaffolding, and a 16 foot extension ladder.   Obviously, in a
large natural disaster your archives will be forgotten, so you need to
make these arrangements so when you want to be moved ahead in the
queue above Ted's Garage & Boutique you won't have to spend half an
hour explaining why.  Finally, your contact list should include the
numbers of people in the local media.  They are your voice in obtaining
skilled volunteer labor, in quashing rumors, and in beginning your fund
raising campaign to repair the damage.  One note on fund raising: have
donors give money with no ties to the disaster.  Agencies responsible
for rebuilding your archives might reduce their funding by the amount of
these donations, thereby allowing you to rebuild the building but not
prepare new exhibits, replenish supplies, and pay the overtime hours
your staff put in towards clean up.

*You may or may not have room for plastic crates in which to store, hall,
and freeze water damaged items.  I was tempted to store the tool kit,
plastic string, etc. in one, but realized that I needed to have these things
returned to storage after use rather than spread throughout the building,
because most tools will be used several times before the cleanup is
complete.  It's best for me to make arrangements for these crates if
possible.  I have to remember that 99.9% of the time, I won't be cleaning
up from a natural disaster and kicking the empty crates will only do so
much to relieve workplace stress.

Food and drink for the staff was not included, nor were warm clothes,
diapers, cots, or medical supplies.  Your staff's emotional needs should
be considered, but their physical needs should be left to themselves and
to agencies better equipped to provide them.

One thing I'd like to know is who has a kit in place that is this complete.  If
you have one or have the items ordered, please post a note for the entire
listserv so you can get the praise you deserve.

David Frazee
Escondido Public Library, Pioneer Room
(760) 738-4315 dfrazee@ci.escondido.ca.us