Re: BAPNet General Meeting January 16 -Reply

Hello Lynn:

Regarding your message about needing a codicil to the agreement to
cover Berkeley, let me think on paper here and give you my rough
impressions.

I think there are a number of ways we can do this.  For example, you are
providing a workshop, which given your expertise, is worth a great deal.
This by itself would undoubtedly cover U.C.?s contribution and then some
(remember, the initial maximum by-in is only $500.00, and all subsequent
contributions are voted by a committee of the whole, and I don?t foresee
that these will occur at all).  If Berkeley were also able in certain
circumstances to loan supplies from its cache, so much the better.
(Perhaps UC would act in some interim or backup capacity, in case we
have two fairly serious local disasters in the region at the same time
when we still have only one network stockpile, for example, but only
then.)

I think you are right that UC as a whole should come in. I would imagine
that this involvement would include the Bancroft which, in terms of the
importance of its collections, is perhaps the first priority in the region
(perhaps the state, or even the West) for protection and response in a
major event.

In terms of the voluntary nature of response, I think that Bancroft and the
Library at the management level might be very interested in having
manuscript and other professional librarians (and perhaps other staff)
sent out to disasters at other institutions because of the invaluable (and
relatively) cheap real life training this could provide (unless they are
already getting this training in abundance in Berkeley?s deferred
maintenance environment).   When Paul and I went before the GBALC
Board, there was a fairly senior UCB library management person there
asking us about UC involvement.  Paul knows who she is.  I don't.  She
was very enthusiastic and said she was going to take it to the
Management Council.  Sorry I forgot to tell you about this before.

So this would not mean staff from your department.  I think we could
easily agree that we would only call you to respond with a conservator
to evaluate or advise on a disaster as a last resort if no one else was
available.  In most situations, even this would be over the phone.  And, of
course this would still be at your option, as per the agreement.

So let me see if we can develop a codicil to be included, probably not be
in the agreement itself but, but as a Steering Committee action recorded
in the minutes, as provided for in the agreement.  This would have the
same force as the agreement itself (i.e., <quote>as detrmined by the
Steering Committee <unquote>, see par 1.):

A general motion might be:
<quote>
Institutions may provide in-kind contributions in lieu of funds for the
purchase of common disaster supplies in the following ways:

1. Provide expert advise to BAPNet disaster preparedness programs or
in disaster situations equivalent in value at the going rate for professional
consultation in the field of conservation and disaster mitigation.

2. Teach training workshops equivalent in value at the going rate for
professional consultation in the field of conservation and disaster
mitigation.

3. Provide networking services such as a site on the World Wide Web,
electronic mailing list, or similar assets equivalent in value, at going rates
for such services.

4.  Provide a site for a common supplies stockpile container.

5. Other?
<unquote>

(You will notice that under this language you and Stanford would be
covered already.)

Although it probably would not be needed if we adopted the above
general language, a specific motion to cover Berkeley might read
something like this:

<quote>
In light of the leadership provided by the U.C. Berkeley Library?s
Department of Conservation to the field of disaster response in general,
and to the Bay Area Preservation Network?s mutual response efforts in
particular; and in recognition of the extensive consultations to numerous
institutions in disaster situations already provided gratis by UCB on a
regular basis, this disaster mutual aid agreement will deem Berkeley?s
in-kind contribution to be its continued expert advice to BAPNet disaster
preparedness programs and the provision of expert advice in disaster
situations, except that, per the agreement, UCB will provide this
emergency response at its discretion.  However, other components of
the U.C. Berkeley Library may be called on to provide mutual aid, which
they also may decline at their discretion, per the agreement.
<unquote>

Let me know your reaction soon, and we'll try to develop something
everyone can agree to.  I think that the existing agreement is a
remarkably flexible and adaptable document and will serve us well.  I
think also that everything I've drafted here is consistent with that quality.