Re: BAPNet General Meeting January 16

Hi Richard--

Here's a bit on salvage priorities.

             Guidelines for Establishing Salvage Priorities

I.   First Priority Records and Collections

     A.   those with information needed to establish or continue
          operations after the disaster, e.g., bibliographic recors
     B.   those that will aid in the recover operations or for
          insurance claims
     C.   those at high risk of loss and of high value to the
          institution, e.g., wettest materials, particular collection
          strengths, current needs

II.  Second Priority Records and Collection

     A.   those at high risk of loss, but lower value to the
          institutions, e.g., easily replaced titles
     B.   those at low risk of loss or damage, but high value to the
          institution

III. Other Considerations

     A.   Certain priority decisions will have to be made at the
          time
     B.   Advance planning with broad input from appropriate staff
          to achieve consensus on collection priorities
     C.   There may not be time to make selections during the
          pack out or salvage

Re: the Agreement: given the specific wording in the Agreement Berkeley
would need to
have a specific codicil to the agreement detailing our contribution in
lieu of purchasing supplies, before I can discuss our being a signatory.

Any ideas what that could be, e.g., providing technical expertise, loan
of supplies from our cache on the same basis if needed... or maybe it
would be best if UC as a whole were a signatory, since the disaster
supplies are jointly owned.

Lynn