Re: [AV Media Matters] AV preservation

Attempting to predict 20 year or more longevity is a fruitless exercise
for three reasons:

1. Longevity is highly dependent upon initial recording quality, less
upon generic media classifications.

2. Significant quality variations occur not only between brand names but
also within them.

3. Handling and storage methods play an important role that is often
neglected or minimized.

Confidence in media longevity can only be achieved through initial
testing followed by periodic (a few years) verification. If degradation
is observed, then information transfer can take place while the media is
still readable.

There is no magic bullet. Proper procedures are the key, not debate over
what constitutes ideal media.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.

This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org