RE: [AV Media Matters] Equipment recommendations forconverting 78 records to

Hi Andrea

Richard's broad overview has highlighted several important points and
you should consider each carefully should you decide to go ahead and
digitise your 78's.

There are two additional points I could add that I feel cannot be
emphasised enough:
1) The cost, time, effort and risk of digitising 78RPM records correctly
can quite easily outweigh any potential benefits so, if you only have a
few records that require digitisation, rather contract it out to a
reputable firm.
2) 78RPM records can quite easily be damaged by incorrect handling,
playback using incorrect stylus (or platter in the case of larger
transcription records), incorrect cleaning methods and materials, etc,
and such damage is usually irreversible.

We have recently (2000) undertaken a project to digitise the entire
contents of our archive, for reasons of both preservation and access.
Digitisation of the 78's has proven to be far more of a challenge than
any other audio media format.

For example, many of the recordings in our archive are the only copies
in existence and it is often impossible to ascertain with certainty the
exact playback speed as there is no reference.  In these cases we have
to resort to the ear of our sound engineer and accompanying information,
where available, to make an educated guess.  Playback at incorrect
speeds affects the pitch and therefore also the equalisation curve.

This is just one of many challenges you will face when undertaking such
a project, so my advice is either:
a) research it well and use qualified engineers and techs,
b) contract it out to a reputable firm, or
c) store the records under suitable archival conditions until you are
able to undertake either (a) or (b).

W. Williams

Project Manager, Digitising
International Library of African Music