Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video

John

I grew up in a world where tapes were "bicycled" between studios and
stations.  So, for me, the word "cycle" has a special meaning.  For
transferring from
one medium or format to another, we use the word "migrate".

Tape life is not the main archival issue. The problem is the playback
equipment.  Try to find a machine to play Quad tapes or one to play 1/2
inch open
reel video.  There are a couple of people on this Listserve who
specialize in
maintaining old videotape recorders and make a living at it.  Otherwise,
these
old formats are dead and cannot be played.

In the digital world, we not only have the hardware and medium problem
but
software is now an issue in many cases.  Ten years from now, do you
believe that
you will be able to play DVD-RW?  That's why we recommend that you go
with a
format that is popular.  The more machines of that format that are
propduced,
the better the chances that you will be able to find someone who can
play it
in the distant future.

I have been in this business for over 40 years and I see no end to this
"cycling" of formats and media.  The consumer and the professional TV
markets drive
the market--not the archives.

BEST

Jim Wheeler