Re: [AV Media Matters] The FILE is the thing ! Was -DigitizingAudio and Vide

At 10:43 AM 5/30/2003 -0400, Jim Wheeler wrote:
Richard & Jim Lindner

I'm missing something here.  Why the concern about data transfer rates
for
archival material?  No matter what media is used, the archival material
is
pulled off a shelf and can be converted to any format and at any rate.
Maybe it
takes a couple of hours but why is that important in a legacy archive?

Jim,

It all comes down to throughput. In one archive we are working on, we
need several 30MB/s machines writing full time 24/7 just to load in the new stuff. The new stuff bursts in, but is written to tape over time. In large-scale systems, throughput is the issue. It doesn't matter with one

tape in a reference library if it takes one or three hours, but what
does that do to the drive count when you factor in all the requests.

Cheers,

Richard

This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org