From: Jim Wheeler [mailto:Jimwheeler@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 6:52 AM
To: AV Media Matters
Subject: Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video-ReallyBigPost

Eric

The three largest manufacturers of HDDs are Seagate, Maxtor and Western
Digital.  All three of these companies have spent a lot of time and
money
increasing the reliability of their HDDs.  They have solved the head
crash
problem and the bearing problem.  I am not aware of any other major
failure
mechanism.  They all use auto-tracking which I invented in 1976.

I have been attending Storage Trade Shows and Conferences and have
learned a
lot about HDDs and LTOs.

All archives must develop a plan for making backups of all electronic
media
and storing them off-site.

Jim Wheeler

This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org