Re: [AV Media Matters] DVD as Storage Medium

Steven

I have spent several years studying Maya hieroglyphics.  I disagree
with using stone carving as a storage media for two reasons. The
obvious one is density.  The smallest Maya stone hieroglyphs measure
about 3x3x1.5 inches per word.

The second problem is durability.  I have seen stone stela that had
fallen on the ground.  The bottom side was in the mud but well
preserved.  The top side was exposed to the elements and can not be
read.  My conclusion is that mud is the best way to preserve
archival collections.

The Maya carved some beautiful images so pictures are possible in
stone. The problem is that it requires several square feet for a
single picture.

I believe parchment is the answer but each collection must be gassed
each year to kill the worms that eat the parchment.  There's always
a downside to using high-density media like parchment.

Jim Wheeler