Re: [AV Media Matters] DVD as Storage Medium

Russ

You said:
<In my view the ultimate solution for long term written document
preservation is using OCR  to convert computer output microfilm back to
processable code using the technology of the day. This approach
eliminates migration, guarantees access to content for the life of the
media, and allows future processing.>

Would you please expand on this?  I'm not clear what you are
suggesting.

Two large microfilm collections had major problems so there are a
couple of precautions that must be taken when using micro film.  One
is to be sure to use an established processing lab that knows when
to replace the Hypo bath.

The other is about sealing microfilm.  I know of a large project in
the Tropics that sealed their microfilm in plastic bags in a room
with high humidity.  That meant that moisture was sealed inside the
bag with each strip of film.  Not good.

With the proper precautions, I agree that microfilm is a great
archival medium.

The Research Libraries Group has published a Handbook about
microfilming.  Go to their website:  www.rlg.org

Jim Wheeler